Leaders for Free-Of-Bias Education (LIFE)
Who Was it For?
30 participants between the age of 18 and 24 who study/work in the education/youth sector. 20 participants were recruited from Cyprus (north and south), and 10 participants were recruited from the island of Ireland (NI and ROI).
Why Do it?
Since the division of Cyprus in 1974, political changes have lead to the supression of the concept of multiculturalism and the openly encouraged rise in nationalism and resentment towards the "other". The socio-political experiences of Cyprus and Ireland have close resemblances.
How Did it Work?
A ten day residential training camp at St Columb's Park House. Activities included:
- Training in Diversity and Multiculturalism
- Study Visits
- Networking Activities
- Cultural Exchange Activities
- Social Activities
The overall objective of the project is to encourage a better knowledge and understanding of "multiculturalism" among youths from Cyprus and Ireland, and to promote the interaction and integration of all ethnic groups in a peaceful society.
- To deepen the understanding of 'Multiculturalism' and 'Diversity' amongst Cypriot youth with people to people contacts with a multicultural European Community and various Cypriot groups of different cultural backgrounds.
- To provide training to those involved in youth education on how they can integrate the concept of 'Diversity' and 'Multiculturalism' into their practice.
- To raise public awareness on the European Approach to Multiculturalism and Diversity.
- To establish a network and increase linkages between Cypriot and Irish organisations dealing with Peace and Diversity issues and other organisations within the European peace movement.
- To increase the number of active youths particularly within the Turkish Cypriot Community, who understand Multiculturalism and encourage a Multicultural attitude in Cyprus.