When Was it?
Funding Period: 1st June 2009 - 30th June 2011
Who Was it For?
NE Peace III Cluster Group:
• Coleraine Council
• Ballymoney Council
• Ballymena Council
• Limavady Council
• Larne Council
• Moyle Council
This included both Council officials, and individuals from within local community groups.
How Did it Work?
The International School for Peace Studies (I.S.P.S.) delivered a total of ten programmes in "Conflict Transformation and the Messines Experience" for the NE Peace III Partnership during the funding period.
The programme was open to individuals over the age of 18 who were affiliated to a local community based organization. To participate, individuals had to complete an application form and attend an interview.
• Community groups throughout the North East Cluster were identified and engaged through the Messines programme.
• The I.S.P.S. hosted a series of information evenings to both encourage applications, and further engage those who had already applied to participate.
• Each programme involved: a pre-departure session exploring the historical context of the First World War, and a 3/5 day visit to Messines in Belgium focusing on rememberance via guided tours, interpretation, group discussion and facilitation.
• 157 individuals received OCN Level 1/2 accredition for successfully completing the programme.
• Improved mutual understanding and respect of difference amongst all participants and the opportunity to build positice relations.
• Lessons learnt will be captured in order to inform future activities of a similar nature.
For information on Phase Two please click here